Rent My Utah RV Recreational Vehicle

Insurance Information

Do I Need RV Rental Insurance?

You’re going through the checklist for your RV adventure and feeling pretty proud of yourself. Itinerary mapped out? Done. RV parks selected? Done. Bags packed? Done. Insurance covered? Wait, I need insurance?!

All RV rental companies require full coverage rv rental insurance—comprehensive, collision, and liability—before you can drive off in one of their vehicles. Rent My Oregon RV is no exception. That insurance protects both you and our company.

Motorhomes are expensive. And they do not handle like cars. They’re large and bulky with a much higher center of gravity. Think of it as driving a small house on wheels. It’s not uncommon for new RV drivers to “bump” into things as they park or back up or turn. – We don’t suggest you try this.

Many travelers assume that since most auto insurance policies cover car rentals, that coverage will also extend to RV rentals. By default, most auto policies do NOT cover RV rentals. So where does that leave you?

You MUST purchase insurance through a third party, such as Outdoorsy or RVshare. This is the easiest option and usually the most affordable (approx $25/day).

Another option is providing a binder from your own private automobile insurance up to the State Statutory Limits applicable to the Rental Vehicle prior to renting from Rent My Oregon RV. Proof must be shown prior to time of pickup.  

Most major insurers offer a rider or “insurance binder” that will extend temporary coverage to a specific RV rental, yet most agents don’t know how or if they offer it, and this has been shown to be more of a hassle at times.

You’ll need all three types of insurance:

  • Comprehensive – covers damages/loss to your rental not related to a collision (like theft or vandalism)
  • Collision – covers damages to your rental in an accident
  • Liability – covers property and bodily injury damages to another party in an accident where you’re at fault

Rent My Oregon RV will provide an Insurance Binder Request Form to send to your insurance company that has all the pertinent information required.

Auto Insurance Companies That Do Offer RV Rental Insurance Binders:

  • State Farm
  • Farmers
  • AAA
  • USAA
  • 21st Century
  • AllState
  • Wawanesa

Auto Insurance Companies That Do NOT Offer RV Rental Insurance Binders:

  • Geico
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Mercury
  • Travelers
  • Progressive
  • Amica
  • Ameriprise
  • GMAC
  • Hartford
  • Nationwide
  • Most “off brand” policies (Edurance, Freeway, Fred Loya, etc …)

This is what you would print off and give your insurance agent: Insurance Binder Request Form